Part-A: Civil & Structural Engineering:
- Civil Engineering
Building Materials: Physical and Chemical properties, classification, standard tests, uses and
manufacture/quarrying of materials e.g. building stones, silicate based materials, cement (Portland),
asbestos products, timber and wood based products, laminates, bituminous materials, paints,
- Estimating, Costing and Valuation: estimate, glossary of technical terms, analysis of rates, methods
and unit of measurement, Items of work – earthwork, Brick work (Modular & Traditional bricks), RCC work, Shuttering, Timber work, Painting, Flooring, Plastering. Boundary wall, Brick building, Water Tank, Septic tank, Bar bending schedule, Centre line method, Mid-section formula, Trapezodial formula, Simpson’s rule. Cost estimate of Septic tank, flexible pavements, Tube well, isolates and combined footings, Steel Truss, Piles and pile-caps. Valuation – Value and cost, scrap value, salvage value, assessed value, sinking fund, depreciation and obsolescence, methods of valuation.
- Surveying: Principles of surveying, measurement of distance, chain surveying, working of prismatic
compass, compass traversing, bearings, local attraction, plane table surveying, theodolite traversing,
adjustment of theodolite, Levelling, Definition of terms used in levelling, contouring, curvature and
refraction corrections, temporary and permanent adjustments of dumpy level, methods of contouring,
uses of contour map, tachometric survey, curve setting, earth work calculation, advanced surveying equipment
- Soil Mechanics: Origin of soil, phase diagram, Definitions-void ratio, porosity, degree of saturation,
water content, specific gravity of soil grains, unit weights, density index and interrelationship of different parameters, Grain size distribution curves and their uses. Index properties of soils, Atterberg’s limits, ISI soil classification and plasticity chart. Permeability of soil, coefficient of permeability, determination of coefficient of permeability, Unconfined and confined aquifers, effective stress, quick sand, consolidation of soils, Principles of consolidation, degree of consolidation, pre-consolidation pressure, normally consolidated soil, e-log p curve, computation of ultimate settlement. Shear strength of soils, direct shear test, Vane shear test, Triaxial test. Soil compaction, Laboratory compaction test, Maximum dry density and optimum moisture content, earth pressure theories, active and passive earth pressures, Bearing capacity of soils, plate load test,
standard penetration test. Hydraulics : Fluid properties, hydrostatics, measurements of flow, Bernoulli’s theorem and its application, flow through pipes, flow in open channels, weirs, flumes, spillways, pumps and turbines
- Irrigation Engineering: Definition, necessity, benefits, 2II effects of irrigation, types and methods of irrigation, Hydrology – Measurement of rainfall, run off coefficient, rain gauge, losses from precipitation – evaporation, infiltration, etc. Water requirement of crops, duty, delta and base period, Kharif and Rabi Crops, Command area, Time factor, Crop ratio, Overlap allowance, Irrigation efficiencies. Different type of canals, types of canal irrigation, loss of water in canals. Canal lining – types and advantages. Shallow and deep to wells, yield from a well. Weir and barrage, Failure of weirs and permeable foundation, Slit and Scour, Kennedy’s theory of critical velocity. Lacey’s theory of uniform flow. Definition of flood, causes and effects, methods of flood control, water logging, preventive measure. Land reclamation, Characteristics of affecting fertility of soils, purposes, methods, description of land and reclamation processes. Major irrigation projects in India.
- Transportation Engineering: Highway Engineering – cross sectional elements, geometric design, types
of pavements, pavement materials – aggregates and bitumen, different tests, Design of flexible and
rigid pavements – Water Bound Macadam (WBM) and Wet Mix Macadam (WMM), Gravel Road,
Bituminous construction, Rigid pavement joint, pavement maintenance, Highway drainage, Railway
Engineering- Components of permanent way – sleepers, ballast, fixtures and fastening, track geometry, points and crossings, track junction, stations and yards. Traffic Engineering – Different traffic survey, speed-flow-density and their interrelationships, intersections and interchanges, traffic signals, traffic operation, traffic signs and markings, road safety.
- Environmental Engineering: Quality of water, source of water supply, purification of water,
distribution of water, need of sanitation, sewerage systems, circular sewer, oval sewer, sewer appurtenances, sewage treatments. Surface water drainage. Solid waste management – types, effects, engineered management system. Air pollution – pollutants, causes, effects, control. Noise pollution – cause, health effects, control. Structural Engineering
- Theory of structures: Elasticity constants, types of beams – determinate and indeterminate, bending
moment and shear force diagrams of simply supported, cantilever and over hanging beams. Moment
of area and moment of inertia for rectangular & circular sections, bending moment and shear stress for
tee, channel and compound sections, chimneys, dams and retaining walls, eccentric loads, slope
deflection of simply supported and cantilever beams, critical load and columns, Torsion of circular
- Concrete Technology: Properties, Advantages and uses of concrete, cement aggregates, importance of
water quality, water cement ratio, workability, mix design, storage, batching, mixing, placement,
compaction, finishing and curing of concrete, quality control of concrete, hot weather and cold
weather concreting, repair and maintenance of concrete structures.
- RCC Design: RCC beams-flexural strength, shear strength, bond strength, design of singly reinforced
and double reinforced beams, cantilever beams. T-beams, lintels. One way and two way slabs, isolated footings. Reinforced brick works, columns, staircases, retaining wall, water tanks (RCC design questions may be based on both Limit State and Working Stress methods).
- Steel Design: Steel design and construction of steel columns, beams roof trusses plate girders.
Part-B (Electrical Engineering):
- Basic concepts: Concepts of resistance, inductance, capacitance, and various factors affecting them.
Concepts of current, voltage, power, energy and their units.
- Circuit law: Kirchhoff’s law, Simple Circuit solution using network theorems.
- Magnetic Circuit: Concepts of flux, mmf, reluctance, Different kinds of magnetic materials, Magnetic calculations for conductors of different configuration e.g. straight, circular, solenoidal, etc.
Electromagnetic induction, self and mutual induction.
- AC Fundamentals: Instantaneous, peak, R.M.S. and average values of alternating waves,
Representation of sinusoidal wave form, simple series and parallel AC Circuits consisting of R.L. and
C, Resonance, Tank Circuit. Poly Phase system – star and delta connection, 3 phase power, DC and
sinusoidal response of R-Land R-C circuit.
Measurement and measuring instruments: Measurement of power (1 phase and 3 phase, both active
and re-active) and energy, 2 wattmeter method of 3 phase power measurement. Measurement of
frequency and phase angle. Ammeter and voltmeter (both moving oil and moving iron type),
extension of range wattmeter, Multimeters, Megger, Energy meter AC Bridges. Use of CRO, Signal
Generator, CT, PT and their uses. Earth Fault detection.
- Electrical Machines: (a) D.C. Machine – Construction, Basic Principles of D.C. motors and
generators, their characteristics, speed control and starting of D.C. Motors. Method of braking motor,
Losses and efficiency of D.C. Machines. (b) 1 phase and 3 phase transformers – Construction,
Principles of operation, equivalent circuit, voltage regulation, O.C. and S.C. Tests, Losses and
efficiency. Effect of voltage, frequency and wave form on losses. Parallel operation of 1 phase /3
phase transformers. Auto transformers. (c) 3 phase induction motors, rotating magnetic field,
principle of operation, equivalent circuit, torque-speed characteristics, starting and speed control of 3
phase induction motors. Methods of braking, effect of voltage and frequency variation on torque
Fractional Kilowatt Motors and Single Phase Induction Motors: Characteristics and applications.
- Synchronous Machines – Generation of 3-phase e.m.f. armature reaction, voltage regulation, parallel
operation of two alternators, synchronizing, control of active and reactive power. Starting and
applications of synchronous motors.
- Generation, Transmission and Distribution – Different types of power stations, Load factor, diversity
factor, demand factor, cost of generation, inter-connection of power stations. Power factor
improvement, various types of tariffs, types of faults, short circuit current for symmetrical faults.
Switchgears – rating of circuit breakers, Principles of arc extinction by oil and air, H.R.C. Fuses,
Protection against earth leakage / over current, etc. Buchholtz relay, Merz-Price system of protection
of generators & transformers, protection of feeders and bus bars. Lightning arresters, various
transmission and distribution system, comparison of conductor materials, efficiency of different
system. Cable – Different type of cables, cable rating and derating factor.
- Estimation and costing: Estimation of lighting scheme, electric installation of machines and relevant
IE rules. Earthing practices and IE Rules.
- Utilization of Electrical Energy: Illumination, Electric heating, Electric welding, Electroplating, Electric drives and motors.
- Basic Electronics: Working of various electronic devices e.g. P N Junction diodes, Transistors (NPN
and PNP type), BJT and JFET. Simple circuits using these devices
Part- C (Mechanical Engineering):
- Theory of Machines and Machine Design
Concept of simple machine, Four bar linkage and link motion, Flywheels and fluctuation of energy,
Power transmission by belts – V-belts and Flat belts, Clutches – Plate and Conical clutch, Gears – Type of gears, gear profile and gear ratio calculation, Governors – Principles and classification,
Riveted joint, Cams, Bearings, Friction in collars and pivots.
- Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials
Equilibrium of Forces, Law of motion, Friction, Concepts of stress and strain, Elastic limit and elastic
constants, Bending moments and shear force diagram, Stress in composite bars, Torsion of circular
shafts, Bucking of columns – Euler’s and Rankin’s theories, Thin walled pressure vessels.
- Properties of Pure Substances: p-v & P-T diagrams of pure substance like H2O, Introduction of steam table with respect to steam generation process; definition of saturation, wet & superheated status.
Definition of dryness fraction of steam, degree of superheat of steam. H-s chart of steam (Mollier’s Chart).
- 1 st Law of Thermodynamics: Definition of stored energy & internal energy, 1st Law of
Thermodynamics of cyclic process, Non Flow Energy Equation, Flow Energy & Definition of
Enthalpy, Conditions for Steady State Steady Flow; Steady State Steady Flow Energy Equation.
- 2 nd Law of Thermodynamics: Definition of Sink, Source Reservoir of Heat, Heat Engine, Heat Pump & Refrigerator; Thermal Efficiency of Heat Engines & co-efficient of performance of Refrigerators,
Kelvin – Planck & Clausius Statements of 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, Absolute or Thermodynamic
Scale of temperature, Clausius Integral, Entropy, Entropy change calculation of ideal gas processes. Carnot Cycle & Carnot Efficiency, PMM-2; definition & its impossibility
- Air standard Cycles for IC engines: Otto cycle; plot on P-V, T-S Planes; Thermal Efficiency, Diesel Cycle; Plot on P-V, T-S planes; Thermal efficiency
IC Engine Performance, IC Engine Combustion, IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication.
- Rankine cycle of steam: Simple Rankine cycle plot on P-V, T-S, h-s planes, Rankine cycle efficiency
with & without pump work.
Boilers; Classification; Specification; Fittings & Accessories : Fire Tube & Water Tube Boilers.
Compressors & their cycles; Refrigeration cycles; Principle of a Refrigeraton Plant; Nozzles & Steam Turbines
Fluid Mechanics & Machinery
- Properties & Classification of Fluid: ideal & real fluids, Newton’s law of viscosity, Newtonian and
Non-Newtonian fluids, compressible and incompressible fluids.
- Fluid Statics: Pressure at a point.
- Measurement of Fluid Pressure: Manometers, U-tube, Inclined tube.
- Fluid Kinematics: Stream line, laminar & turbulent flow, external & internal flow, continuity
- Dynamics of ideal fluids: Bernoulli’s equation, Total head; Velocity head; Pressure head; Application
of Bernoulli’s equitation.
- Measurement of Flow rate Basic Principles: Venturimeter, Pilot tube, Orifice meter. Hydraulic Turbines : Classifications, Principles. Centrifugal Pumps : Classifications, Principles, Performance.
- Classification of Steels: mild steal & alloy steel, Heat treatment of steel, Welding – Arc Welding,
Gas Welding, Resistance Welding, Special Welding Techniques i.e. TIG, MIG, etc. (Brazing & Soldering), Welding Defects & Testing; NDT, Foundry & Casting – methods, defects, different casting processes, Forging, Extrusion, etc, Metal cutting principles, cutting tools, Basic Principles of machining with (i) Lathe (ii) Milling (iii) Drilling (iv) Shaping (v) Grinding, Machines, tools & manufacturing processes